DEFCON 22 EXPERIENCE

5:24:00 PM
DEFCON 22 EXPERIENCE -

Defcon 22 is certainly one of the most unique experiences I never had. Everything from the registration process to the speakers in the activities of the Convention, was so foreign to me. Being new in the technology sector and the hacking scene, I do not know what to expect- but this agreement has opened my eyes to a world I did not know much.

I will not lie, the idea of ​​going to Defcon was quite intimidating. The only thing I heard about the event were security warnings. Turn your cell phone off. Suppose all communications within 1000 feet of Rio will be intercepted. Do not use ATMs. Do not plug USBs. Do not connect anything to congress reasons. There were so many threats, and I could not understand why anyone would take the risk to attend the first convention.

But it is clear that many people were ready. I arrived in Rio from 7:30 am on Thursday - with my cell phone off and a lot of money - and found a sea of ​​people lined up, waiting for registration to open. The staff (or henchmen as they say) had to turn people away from the queue, as it became ridiculously long, and it has continued to grow throughout the day!

After three grueling hours, I finally got me my pass, and the schedule and some goodies. It was then that I realized that Defcon was really something. Even the most minute element as a pass was different and very hardcore. There was a metal badge made with pieces of equipment :. Microchips, USB ports, quantum..something - one of the thugs actually explained every part for me, but I do not remember what they were all

All the goodies I got from registration!

All the goodies I got to check!

I did most of exploring the next day. There was plenty to see - vendors, contests, capture the flag, lock picking demos. The number of people walking around and just talk to each other about their latest project has been overwhelming. I also attended two interviews. The first intervention Recording the Internet , provided an interesting perspective to the issue at hand. Jay Healey, the speaker wanted the public to reflect on the big picture when it comes to saving the Internet. Because it is such an innovative processing technology, the risks are potentially enormous. Privacy is not the only problem, as security threats are extremely high as well. He requested that security researchers are focusing on preventing attacks to create a sustainable cyberspace, and everyone in that space can contribute.

The second conference was on security technology telephone Phil Zimmerman, that people can use to have private telephone calls without being intercepted. The overall picture that he wanted the audience to realize that culture can be the crypto standard if we are fighting to make it the norm. If we create market demand and conditions to enforce privacy, it can be done.

To be honest, I did not understand a lot of information from these discussions because of their political and technical. However, if I had something to take, it is that the people involved in this scene are really passionate about their work and the future of technology to better human society. I could see how henchmen worked to put together in agreement, because even the stage to a thirty minute interview was developed and impressive. The speakers tried to make their subjects as applicable as possible, encourage movement and dedication of the audience. The crowd was diverse. There were people of all different ethnicities, age groups and backgrounds; new participants and the participants in the twentieth time. But they all came together in this unified interest in technical innovation.

Track One stage set up

Track One step set up

Although initially, attending the convention seemed a little scary, I realized that was simply a gathering of people with a common passion. Yes, everyone was extremely intelligent and had the ability to hack the devices each other, but at the end of the day, they were there to learn, share and experience their knowledge together. And see so many people with great dedication and zeal about their interest was inspiring. Not to mention, I left with a pretty cool badge too.

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar