Are you considering moving abroad?

11:42:00 AM
Are you considering moving abroad? -

There are millions of expatriates who have upped sticks and left their homeland to pursue a new life, experience different cultures, seek love or have left employment opportunities.

HMA! we have a number of people who have done this.

We start with our own blogger Nicola.

I lived the life of an expatriate in several countries including America, Lebanon and Serbia. The decision to leave the United Kingdom is mainly due to work commitments, for example to Lebanon Iraq was a breeze compared to travel to Iraq from London.

I had made several trips to Serbia before I decided I wanted to make my home. When I lived in London, I shared apartment with a woman who was Canadian-Serbian. We become good friends and one Christmas, I flew to spend some time with her friends and family. From there, I had knowledge "random", some of which remain good friends to this day. They showed me around, taught me some useful phrases such as "jedno pivo" (beer) and "jos piva" (keep the beers coming!) And "rep" which is a Serbian thing and can not be translated. I think because I lived abroad for so many years, I found no difficulty here acclimatization; people are incredibly friendly, the weather is fantastic, and it is pure paradise for meat eaters ... meat on cooking meat. I do not speak Serbian to my shame, but fortunately most people here have an excellent understanding of English, thanks to shows and movies on American television, and I rarely encounter disaster. * Wooden keys. * If I have to buy an item, say a plastic cup, I take a picture of it using my phone, and the show to shop assistants who occasionally looked at me strangely, but I tend to get a quick "da" or "no". I find it difficult to most pronounce street names here, so again, I take a picture of it or write it in my phone and show the taxi driver.

The best ways to adjust to a new country

I found the best way to resolve a new country is to participate in expat forums, attending social functions where you will meet the natives, and if you're brave enough, check your local bar. Make friends with the bartenders who know everyone and can introduce you to the guys 'good'. In my experience, because I'm a foreigner, people are more likely to make an effort to talk to you, someone from their country. But it is up to you to maintain the momentum and make an effort to "go out" with your new found friends. Sure you do not want to harass and look desperate, so there is a natural fine line you should not cross.

For expats who enjoy a drink or ten years, one of the best things to do is to immerse yourself with the locals, and make mistakes, get drunk. It may not seem the most practical way to present, but it's worked for me several times!

Use social media like Facebook. Join groups that interest you, such as art classes or yoga, and be sure to attend events and to network your butt!

Learning the language, or if you do not have the "ear" for her, at least learn some useful phrases. I found that people still appreciate that you made an effort, even if you pronounce it wrong. I remember a language barrier in northern Iraq, where I did not know the word "cow" or "Sheep", so I 'lowed "to the cow and' baaed 'for sheep. He laughed the butcher, and I got what I wanted.

Explore your new home. Walking is one of the best ways to find out where you live, and find your closest supermarket, pharmacy, restaurants and pubs.

Our next blog about expat life, will focus on what I miss most from home and the top challenges to be an expatriate.

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar